Law Offices of Frank F. Ali Articles Should I See a Divorce Attorney if My Former Spouse and I Agree on Changes to our Divorce Agreement?

Should I See a Divorce Attorney if My Former Spouse and I Agree on Changes to our Divorce Agreement?

By Law Offices of Frank F. Ali  May. 20, 2013 1:07p

The stipulations of a finalized divorce agreement can vary widely depending on the specific circumstances of the couple involved. If you need those agreements changed at some point in the future then it is important that you enlist the help of a divorce lawyer. This is especially true in cases that involve spousal support or alimony, child support, child custody, visitation and other such issues. The court takes many factors into account when establishing a divorce agreement. The income, education, health and many other details are considered when it comes to working out spousal support and custody rights. If things should change in the future, such as a job loss or significant increase in income, then a judge may find that a modification to the standing agreements is justified. For instance, at the time of the divorce alimony may have been set because one party (ex-spouse) was making significantly more income than the other. Based on this, the judge may order that a certain amount of spousal support be paid to the other party every month. After a couple years, however, the individual receiving alimony may remarry and now have financial support from the new spouse. The judge may cancel the spousal support payments since it would no longer be warranted. Other cases in which you should consult with a divorce attorney include changes in child custody or visitation if a former spouse wishes to move to another location which would affect current custody agreements.

Even if both former spouses agree verbally to modifications to a current custody, alimony or support arrangement, a subsequent argument or misunderstanding could create difficulties. In such a case, your only legal recourse would depend on what was originally established in your divorce settlement agreement. With the help of an attorney, however, you can make sure that any post-divorce modifications become legally binding. Your lawyer's job is to protect your best interests and ensure that your legal goals are accomplished as much as possible.

Divorce Attorney in Roseville, CA

Contact our dedicated team at the Law Offices of Frank F. Ali today if you need to change the terms of your divorce or if you want to contest any changes being petitioned by your former spouse. We have helped clients protect their relationship with their children and we work hard with the goal of making sure that our clients are not subjected to any unfair judgments in regard to modifications of divorce agreements.

Other Recent Articles

How Violent Sexual Felonies Affect California Spousal Support

California Family Code Section 4324 concerns how violent sexual felonies committed by one spouse against another can affect their divorce.
More Articles »

Changes in California Family Laws

State laws are constantly changing and family law is no exception.
More Articles »

Understanding Asset and Debt Division in a Divorce

Per California law and unless you have a valid prenuptial or postnuptial agreement, all property, assets and debts acquired after marriage belong jointly to both spouses.
More Articles »
(916) 757-6999
8203 Sierra College Boulevard
Roseville, CA 95661
Contact our office by email or phone instantly by clicking the options below: