What is equitable distribution?

My husband and I are considering a divorce, and I am concerned about my property. Will I have to lose the house? I have heard so many different things concerning divorces, and I am just not sure if I should hire an attorney or try to do it myself? I want to save as much money as possible, but I also have friends who are trying to tell me to hire an attorney? What should I do?

Answers (1) disclaimer

300 Old Country Road
Mineola NY 11501
Long Island Divorce Attorney
(516) 248-3520

LaRusso & Conway

Long Island Divorce Attorney
In the state of New York, we are considered to be an equitable distribution state. What this means is that when you and your spouse decide to divorce, you will “equitably” divide your property. Note- this does not mean equal, but rather it means you will split the property by what is considered as fair. The difficult thing with filing for a divorce, is that what you may feel is fair to divide is not fair to your spouse, and vice versa. When filing for a divorce, many couples will feel as though hiring an attorney is going to cost them too much money, and they will lose in the long run. What is interesting, however, is the idea that by hiring a divorce attorney they are going to be specifically learned in the area of divorce laws in your state, and they can help see to it that you are receiving what is rightfully yours. As with any divorce, there is always a concern as to who will receive the house, the car, the children, etc. And by hiring a divorce attorney they will be able to sit down with you and determine the best plan of action. Call a divorce attorney today to sit down and discuss your situation, for most firms, the initial consultation is free so it will give you a chance to decide if that is the route you want to go.

Related Questions

i need to know what i need to do to change a minor child's name?

Biological father not around. need to change ne for school so that she does not get confused. I live in colo. have a child support case out of ...
answered by Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C. - Colorado View answers »

How can I earn full custody of my one year old son?

Wife is a felon (I have no criminal record), her & her brothers admitted that she was using "meth" during the month of March 2012, she's clean now ...
answered by Heimerl & Lammers LLC - California View answers »

Relocating from one town to another in the same county, do I have to file relocation with court house?

Lease runs out and moving in with fiancy in September. Do I need fathers conscent to move? Do I have to file relocation with court house?
answered by Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. - Pennsylvania View answers »