My husband and I live in KS. Our three year old granddaughter lives in KY. Can my husband and I get visitation?

Grandparents Rights: Dad lives with us in KS, and mom lives in Lexington, KY. They were never married. Would like to have our granddaughter visit us here in KS.

Answers (1) disclaimer

10390 Commerce Center Dr
Rancho Cucamonga KS 91730
Rancho Cucamonga Divorce Attorney
(909) 922-0188

James D. Madden & Aruna P. Rodrigo, Partners at CKB Vienna

Rancho Cucamonga Divorce Attorney
In the U.S., grandparents do have rights in regards to visiting their grandchildren, whether it is after a divorce or even if the parents were never married. However, the laws of each state vary and so it is important to be aware of these differences. In Kansas, the court may award grandparents visitation rights if they find it to be in the best interests of the child. The only thing which could change this is if the child is adopted into another family. In Kentucky, the court is more likely to grant visitation rights if the grandparents had previously contributed to child support. With this said, it is possible that you would be successful is requesting time with your granddaughter. However, as you will most likely need to prove that it is in your granddaughter’s best interests to be able to spend time with you, it is highly recommended that you seek representation from an attorney in your local area.

Related Questions

i need to know what i need to do to change a minor child's name?

Biological father not around. need to change ne for school so that she does not get confused. I live in colo. have a child support case out of ...
answered by Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C. - Colorado View answers »

How can I earn full custody of my one year old son?

Wife is a felon (I have no criminal record), her & her brothers admitted that she was using "meth" during the month of March 2012, she's clean now ...
answered by Heimerl & Lammers LLC - California View answers »

Relocating from one town to another in the same county, do I have to file relocation with court house?

Lease runs out and moving in with fiancy in September. Do I need fathers conscent to move? Do I have to file relocation with court house?
answered by Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. - Pennsylvania View answers »