i need to know what i need to do to change a minor child's name?

Biological father not around. need to change ne for school so that she does not get confused. I live in colo. have a child support case out of jefferson county.

Answers (1) disclaimer

1010 Northern Blvd
Great Neck CO 11021
Long Island Divorce Lawyer
(516) 406-8500

Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.

Long Island Divorce Lawyer
In Colorado, in order to go about changing the name of a minor (anyone under the age of 19), a form for the Petition for Change of Name of Minor Child must first be completed. In order for this petition to be successful, the child must be a resident of the county in which you are filing the petition. However, if the child is involved in a child support case, such as in your situation, then the petition must be filed in the District Court which has jurisdiction over your case. The parent or guardian that is petitioning the name change must be over the age of 18 in order for the petition to be accepted. The filing fee is $83 in county courts; however, when the child is the subject of a child support case, then the filing fee is $185 in District Court. To guarantee that your petition is successful, even if the biological father objects, having a family lawyer walk with you through the process could prove to be invaluable.

Related Questions

How can I earn full custody of my one year old son?

Wife is a felon (I have no criminal record), her & her brothers admitted that she was using "meth" during the month of March 2012, she's clean now ...
answered by Heimerl & Lammers LLC - California View answers »

Relocating from one town to another in the same county, do I have to file relocation with court house?

Lease runs out and moving in with fiancy in September. Do I need fathers conscent to move? Do I have to file relocation with court house?
answered by Jason K.S. Porter, P.A. - Pennsylvania View answers »

How can I protect my daughter from my husband if he hurt her?

My husband beat my daughter about the face and head while driving home from the local Wal Mart. There were bruises becoming apparent as soon as they ...
answered by Zinda & Davis, PLLC - South Carolina View answers »